JulyAugust 2011, Volume 35, No. 6
James Houlik, Horace A. Young, Larry Randall
|ORDER THIS ISSUE
$15.00 + shipping (see order form)
|SUBSCRIBE TO SAX JOURNAL
|ALL BACK ISSUES LIST
|RECENT BACK ISSUES
SAXOPHONE JOURNAL HOME PAGE
ARTICLES THIS ISSUE
review of Big Phat Band CD
"That's How We Roll"
by David Gibson
Creative Teaching Techniques
"Scales: The French Style"
by Joel Diegert
Creative Jazz Improvisation
"Ear Training For Jazz Improvisation"
by David Pope
The Manufacturing History
of King Saxophones
Original King (1924), King Saxello (1930)
"New Improvements" King (1932
King Voll-True II (1935, Zephyr (1935
Legendary Super 20, & Super 21 (1995)
by Steve "Saxgourmet" Goodson
New Saxophone Publications
"Indian Melodies For Alto Sax"
"Lessons From A Street-Wise Professor"
by David Demsey
What It Takes
"To Be A Professiona Saxophonist"
by David Camwell
The Saxophone Quartet
"Composer Eric Swartz"
by Susan Fancher
Repairing Your Saxophone
"Sticky G# Key, Bad A Key, Finding Pad Leaks"
by Emilio Lyons "The Sax Doctor"
Rock 'n Roll Saxophone
Songs With One Chord
by Andrew Clark
Paul Wagner's Reviews
"New Music From Hawaii"
Free Range Sax Quartet
Billy Kerr's Reviews
Frank Bongiorno's Reviews
Walt Wieskopf Quartet Live
Have a CD, book, video you want reviewed?
New Orleans Grooves
by Jason Mingledorff
This Saxophone Journal Masterclass with accompanying CD is an introduction to some of the prevalent grooves that continue to be popular in New Orleans today. For this first of two parts, I’ve written four songs that showcase variations of the rhythm that we in New Orleans call the “second line.” A future article will discuss other important Crescent City styles, including New Orleans mambo, rock-and-roll, and funk.
NEW ORLEANS GROOVES: Part I
Saxophone Journal Masterclass CD
By Jason Mingledorff
1. Introduction (spoken)
2. The Ursulines Second Line (spoken explanation)
3. The Ursulines Second Line (full performance)
4. The Ursulines Second Line (play-along with horns)
5. The Ursulines Second Line (play-along with piano)
6. Fiasco On Frenchman intro (spoken explanation)
7. Fiasco On Frenchman (full performance)
8. Fiasco On Frenchman (play-along)
9. Neutral Ground (spoken explanation)
10. Neutral Ground (full performance)
11. Neutral Ground (play-along)
12. Half Dozen (spoken explanation)
13. Half Dozen (full performance)
14. Half Dozen (play-along)